I love to try different recipes for evening snacks. Generally, you cant afford to experiment much over lunch and dinner all the time. So I put most of my experimental skills at test on either preparing evening snacks or on baking.
Today I am sharing another recipe from my cute baking book, which is a bit different still appropriate to have in the evening.
Here in Europe, I discovered the “Puff pastry sheet” which is quite amazing in its multipurpose utility to make a large variety of savoury as well as sweet dishes. It is readily available in the freezer section of all the super markets although one can prepare at home too. If not exactly the “Puff pastry sheet”, still something similar is used to make the layered coating of veg & non-veg patties in India as well. Although I often prepare these patties with the pastry sheets, the current recipe tells the story of an experimentation with pesto sauce, aubergine and cheese. The food is light, munch and tasty and perfect to impress your guests.
Ingredients to serve 2 :
- Ready-made puff pastry sheet – 85 gm.
- Aubergines/Bringels (trimmed and thinly sliced) – 8 slices
- Olive oil – 2 tbspoon
- Mozzarella cheese (sliced) – 1 (150 gm.)
- Pesto – 2 tbspoon
- Egg yolk – 1
- Salt & Crushed black pepper
Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface and divide into 2 pieces. Roll each piece into either circles or rectangles, then place on baking sheets. (I used two 12 cm. square sheets and roll them out to12 x 15 cm. rectangles.)
Brush the aubergine slices with 1 tbspoon of olive oil and cook briefly in a non-stick frying pan. Then arrange the slices neatly overlapping on each dough base, leaving a 2.5 cm./1 inch margin along the edges. Lay the mozzarella slices over the aubergine slices and spoon over the pesto. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush the edges of the dough with egg yolk.
Bake in a preheated oven, 190ºC/375ºF, for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.
- If you don’t find any ready-made puff pastry sheet, then you can also prepare it at home. There are a number of videos in you tube for this recipe. Follow any one of them.
- I have used ready-made Pesto available in market. You can also prepare it at home. Follow Pesto recipe under “Useful Supplementary” tab.
- Any cheese instead of mozzarella would be fine.
- To make the dish completely vegetarian skip egg wash and use milk instead.