I already expressed my soft corner for Chinese food, which is incomplete without mentioning fried rice. Perhaps it is not justified to tout fried rice as Chinese, since it can be found in abundance in Thai, Indonesian and other Asian cuisines. In fact, they taste drastically different depending on where you get it. I do not run into any complexity here, rather will describe how to make a simple fried rice with egg and vegetables. However, egg is not obligatory and the same recipe can be followed to make vegetable fried rice as well. In fact there you can apply your innovative skills while using different vegetables. Although somewhere before, I mentioned it as complimentary to Chilli Chicken, fired rice can serve as a tempting one dish meal too.
Ingredients to serve 4 :
- Rice – 1½ cup
- Finely chopped carrot – 1/3 cup
- Finely chopped green bin – 1/3 cup
- Finely chopped onion – 1½ (large)
- Chopped garlic – 2-3 cloves
- Chopped green chilli – 2 (optional)
- Finely chopped spring onion – 3-4 sticks
- Egg (beaten with salt) – 3
- Black pepper powder – 2 teaspoon
- Soya sauce – 1 tbspoon
- Salt & sugar to taste
- Sunflower oil – 7-8 tbspoon
Rinse the rice well with water a few times. Cook it with sufficient amount of water. After draining the water from cooked rice spread it over a large plate and let it dry.
Mean while heat 3 tbspoon of oil in a large wok over medium-high flame.
Add chopped carrot and beans to hot oil and fry till they get cooked half.
Then add chopped onion and salt, fry till onion gets translucent.
Now shift this vegetable mixture to the edge of your wok and make space to fry the egg.
Add another 2 tbspoon of oil in your wok and let it become hot.
Then add beaten eggs and fry. Make small fragments of egg with spatula while frying.
Now mix together the fried eggs and vegetables, add soya sauce and again fry for 1-2 minutes more.
Now keep this vegetable mixture aside.
Heat remaining oil in the wok and add chopped garlic, fry till it starts changing colour.
Now add cooked rice into the wok and fry for 2 minutes followed by adding salt and sugar.
Then add egg & vegetable mixture and fry till the raw flavour of rice goes away.
Now add chopped spring onion and pepper powder. Mix them very well and then put the gas off
Serve with Chilli Chicken.
- We need well-neat rice to make a good fried rice dish. So, keep an watchful eye while cooking the rice. Try to cook it in a large vessel, use generous amount of water and drain the water before the rice get soften.
- Drying out the cooked rice is an important step.
- Fry the rice very well till its raw flavour disappear otherwise the dish will not taste desirable.
- Don’t overcrowd your wok if you have large quantity of rice and vegetables. Then fry the vegetables and rice together in batches.