I already shared with you the recipe of Spicy Chicken Muffins which I liked a lot. Since then I got enthusiastic about savoury muffins and started looking for them. Suddenly I came across an interesting recipe in my baking book as they told the story of a muffin with herbs and cheese in it. The recipe is very simple and quick to make. If you don’t dislike the flavour of herbs, this muffins will not disappoint you.
Ingredients to serve 12 :
- Sunflower oil or groundnut oil (for oiling) – 1 tbspoon
- Plain flour – 280 gm.
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoon
- Bicarbonate of soda – ½ teaspoon
- Smoked hard cheese (grated) – 25 gm.
- Fresh parsley (finely chopped) – 50 gm.
- Egg (large, lightly beaten) – 1
- Thick strained plain yogurt – 300 ml. (I used Greek style yogurt)
- Butter (melted) – 4 tbspoon
Oil your muffin tin with sunflower oil, or line it with muffin paper liners.
Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl. Add the smoked cheese and the parsley and mix together well.
In a separate bowl, lightly mix the egg, yogurt and melted butter together. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and then gently stir together until just combined. Do not overstir the batter – it is fine for it to be little lumpy.
Divide the muffin batter evenly between the cups in the muffin tin or the paper liners (they should be about 2/3 full).
Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C or 400ºF for 20 minutes or until risen and golden.
Remove the muffins form the oven and serve warm, or place them on a wire rack to cool.