Who can make such an innovative and gorgeous looking pizza other than Chitra !!!! I suppose no one. Yet she makes it look so easy.
Not very long ago, I get acquainted with Chitra and went through her blog Chitra’s Healthy Kitchen. As the name reveals, her blog is a treasure of healthy recipes which is a perfect foil to our daily stressful life. On the top of that I am really impressed with innovative approach and individuality in each of her recipes. She always tries to present a lighter and healthier version of traditional and common foods along with her amazing fusion recipes. Till date I did not find a dedicated blogger like her who manages to post two recipes each single day. Needless to say, if you visit her blog, never will you be disappointed.
Today I am privileged to have her recipe, Whole wheat and Oats Flower Pizza, as guest post for my blog. Though the recipe sounds common at the first go still is quite new and refreshing for its ingredients and look. Here a circular pizza is given the shape of a flower by some twists, quite similar to the flower shaped bread, as found in Italian cuisine. Again, Chitra used wheat flour and oats instead of plain flour to turn it into a healthier dish. Thus she shows her innovative best for which she is well known.
Preparation time: 15minutes
Baking time: 18-20minutes
Waiting time: 1½-2hours
- Wheat flour – 1½ cup
- Powdered oats – ½ cup
- hot water – 1cup
- Yeast – 1tsp
- Honey – 1tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2tbsp
- Salt – 1/2tsp
- Pizza sauce – to spread (link)
- Sliced jalapenos
- Cherry tomatoes (cut to half)
- Low fat mozzarella cheese – 30-50gms
- Italian herbs-to drizzle
- In a bowl combine yeast, honey, 1/4cup hot water and let it sit on the counter for 5-10minutes.
- Sieve wheat flour, powdered oats in a mixing bowl, add in salt, oil mix well to form crumbs.
- Then add in yeast mixture and hot water little at a time to form a dough.
- Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes and then transfer into a greased bowl, cover and let it rest until doubles.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200° C, grease the pizza tray and keep aside.
- Once the dough doubles, transfer to the floured surface and roll it out to a circle.
- Place a cup on its middle to separate it from the petals.
- Brush some olive oil on the remaining part of the dough apart from bowl surface and spread some pizza sauce .
- Using a sharp knife cut it in equal portions (divide in quarters and then each quarter in four pieces)
- Twist two times each petal
- Uncover the middle portion and Brush with olive oil and spread sauce.
- Bake for 14-15minutes. Then pull the bread out from the oven spread some cheese, top it with olives and cherry tomatoes at the centre circle and place back the tray into the oven and bake for 4-5minutes more/until the cheese melts.
Serve with sauce.
- Topping can be personalised as per the choice.
- Plain flour can be used in place of wheat and oats