Earlier I shared with you a Thai curry recipe with Tofu and vegetables (Tofu & Green Bean Red Curry). This is the second one in the league which is slightly different in preparation. Here I baked the tofu before making curry which gives it a slight smoky flavour. I also use a lot more vegetables this time with cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms and green beans together which make it a delight for food lovers. Indeed this dish contains all the good properties of vegetables and rich in tofu protein too.
Ingredients to serve 4 :
- Firm tofu – 175 gm.
- Dark soy sauce – 3 tbspoon
- Sesame oil – 1 tbspoon
- Chilli sauce – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh root ginger (peeled and finely grated) – 1″ piece
- Broccoli (cut into small florets) – 1 head, about 225 gm.
- Cauliflower (cut into small florets) – ½ head, about 225 gm.
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbspoon
- Onion (sliced) – 1
- Coconut milk – 400 ml.
- Water – 150 ml. (2/3 cup)
- Red bell pepper (seeded and sliced) – 1
- Green beans (halved) – 175 gm.
- Shiitake or button mushroom (halved) – 115 gm.
- Shredded spring onions to garnish
For the curry paste :
- Fresh red or green chilli (sedded and chopped) – 2
- Lemon grass stalk (chopped) – 1
- Fresh ginger (chopped) – 1″ piece
- Kaffir lime leaves – 2
- Ground coriander – 2 teaspoon
- A few fresh coriander sprigs (including the stalks)
- Water – 3 tbspoon
Rinse and drain the tofu. Cut it into 1 inch cubes. Place the cubes in an ovenproof dish that is large enough to hold them all in a single layer.
Mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, chilli sauce and grated ginger in a bowl and pour over the tofu. Toss gently to coat all the cubes evenly, cover with cling film and leave to marinate for atleast 2 hours, turning and basting the tofu occasionally.
To make the curry paste put together all the ingredients under the heading “curry paste”, except water, in a food processor and process until well blended. Add the water and process to a thick paste.
Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan, add sliced onion and fry on low heat for about 8 minutes, until soft and light brown.
Stir in the curry paste and coconut milk. Add the water and bring to the boil.
Stir the in the red bell pepper, green beans, broccoli and cauliflower. Cover the pan with a lead and let the vegetables get cooked over low-medium flame.
Meanwhile bake the tofu in a preheated oven at 190ºC/375ºF for 30 minutes.
When cauliflower and broccoli are almost cooked add the tofu, with any remaining marinade, and the mushrooms.
Let it cook for another few minutes till all the vegetables become tender.
Garnish with spring onion and serve with Thai Jasmin rice or noodles.