Aloo Tikki is a very popular, easy to make tea time snack. Basically it is nothing but a fried spicy potato ball given a flat kebab like shape. You can come up with the Aloo tikki literary in no time with ingredients that are generally available at our kitchen. It proves that the best snacks do not always demand whole of your time and energy, but a little bit of creativity.
Ingredients for 8 pieces :
- Boiled potato – 2 (medium size)
- Bread slice – 1 (large)
- Finely chopped onion – 1 (small)
- Chopped green chilli – 1 or 2
- Chopped coriander leaves – 3-4 tbspoon heaped
- Roasted Cumin powder – ½ teaspoon
- Roasted Coriander powder – ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil for pan frying
Remove the brown edges of the bread, soak it into water, squeeze and then mash with hand.
Also mash the boiled potato.
In a bowl mix together mashed potato, bread and rest of the ingredients except oil.
Now divide the mixture into 8 equal parts and give them flat round shape.
Heat oil in flat non-stick pan over low-medium heat.
Shallow fry potato balls from both sides until golden brown.
Serve hot with green chutni or tomato ketchup.
- Potatoes should not be boiled too soft otherwise Aloo Tikki will disintegrate into the pan while frying.
- You can also use ‘chat masala’ to make the mixture more spicy and tasty.
- Aloo tikkis can also be deep fried instead of shallow frying. In that case, the oil should be very warm.
- Bread crumbs can also be used instead of slice bread.