These days chicken preparations come in every imaginative way to fit into our daily diet. These are often not very spicy unlike the traditional dishes. I also keep experimenting with chicken and the current recipe ideally can be touted as a “any time” chicken recipe. Light and healthy, here chicken lives happily with broccoli and carrot and ready to raise your food nutritious value quite a few folds.
Ingredients to serve 2 :
- Chicken breast – 200 gm. (cut into thin slices)
- Broccoli – 10-15 small florets
- Carrot – 1/3 of a small carrot (cut into thin slices)
- Garlic paste – ½ teaspoon
- Pepper powder (black/white) – ½ teaspoon
- Cornflour – 1 tbspoon + 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil – 3 tbspoon
- Spring Onion for garnishing
For Brown Sauce :
- Ginger (minced) – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic (minced) – 1 teaspoon
- Green onion root – 1 (cut into small pieces)
- Soy sauce – 2 tbspoon
- Oyster sauce – 1 tbspoon
- Vinegar – 1 tbspoon
- Sugar – ½ tbspoon
- Oil – ½ teaspoon
- Chicken/vegetable stock (hot) – 1 cup
Mix all the ingredients mentioned for ‘brown sauce’ in a bowl, let it cool and strain. Discard the roots and use the liquid as brown sauce.
Marinate the chicken with salt, pepper powder, garlic paste and 2 tbspoon of water for 10-15 minutes. After that add 1 tbspoon cornflour and ½ tbspoon of oil, mix well and keep aside.
Stir 1 teaspoon of cornflour in 1 tbspoon of water and keep aside.
In a pot of boiling water add ½ teaspoon of salt and the broccoli florets. Cook for 1 minute, remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
Heat 2-3 tbspoon of oil in a wok or kadai and fry the marinated chicken for 1 to 2 minutes. Evenly cook both sides of the chicken slices.
Add sliced carrot and fry for 1-2 minute.
Add broccoli and fry for another 1-2 minute.
Add brown sauce, cornflour dissolved in water and ½ teaspoon of oil.
Coat well the chicken and vegetables with the sauce and stir fry for further 1 minutes.
Check for salt and add if necessary. Sprinkle over the spring onion and put the gas off.
Serve hot with fried rice or plain rice.
- Plain water can also be used instead of chicken/ vegetable stock.