Love bites, the name given by me to these little heart shaped red velvet cupcakes, is sultry and serene. Don’t you think ? These super soft, spongy token of love can be a surprise for your loved ones on any special occasion, it may be your marriage anniversary, valentines day or any memorable day to cherish. I borrowed the recipe of Red Velvet muffins from Joy of Baking and moulded them into heart shaped cupcakes. Vibrant red colour can also be kids’ favourite, so just give it a try.
Ingredients for 14-16 cupcakes :
- Sifted cake/plain flour – 125 gm. (1¼ cups)
- Baking powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Cocoa powder – 1 tbspoon (10 gm.)
- Salted butter at room temp. – 57 gm. (¼ cup)
- Granulated white sugar – 150 gm. (¾ cup)
- Egg – 1
- Vanilla extract – ½ teaspoon
- Butter milk/ milk – 120 ml. (½ cup)
- Liquid red food colour – 1 tbspoon
- White distilled vinegar – ½ teaspoon
- Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
Preheat your oven at 175ºC or 350ºF.
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa.
Beat the butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer for about 1-2 minutes until soft. Add sugar to it and beat for 2-3 minutes until light & fluffy. Add egg and beat until incorporated. Scrap down the sides of the bowl, add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
In a measuring cup whisk the butter milk with the red food colouring.
With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and the butter milk to the butter mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
Combine the vinegar and baking soda in a small cup. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.
Divide the batter evenly among the cups and smooth the top with a spatula or back of a spoon. Fill only the ½ of the cups with the batter.
Bake in the preheated oven for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
Cool the cakes before serving.
- Use ¼ teaspoon of salt if you are using unsalted butter.
- You can also use cupcakes or muffin tin instead of heart shaped silicone molds.
- You can also make the cupcakes without any colour.