The festival of light ‘Deepavali” has arrived with hope to rekindle the joy of our lives, to shed off the regrets and to ignite the purity of soul. A dose of overpouring sweetness is a must in this occasion. While dabbling with ideas, thought of good old “Besan ka Laddus”, synonymous to Diwali. These crunchy golden spheres, gently yellowish, soaked in desi ghee, with a piece of almond or cashew sneaking out tell a fascinating story while getting melted in the mouth. Laddus never get old. They just get fascinating during Diwali.
Ingredients for 12 pieces :
- Besan/Gram flour – 1½ cup (the cup measures 150 ml. of water)
- Boora sugar/Tagar (finely grained sugar) – 1¼ cup
- Ghee/Clarified butter – 90 gm.
- Cashew nut – 5-6 (roughly chopped)
- Almond – 5-6 (roughly chopped)
- Green cardamom powder – ½ teaspoon
Melt the ghee in a kadai or non stick pan over low-medium flame.
Add the gram flour to the ghee and mix well.
Roast the gram flour over low-medium flame for 20-25 minutes. As ghee comes out from the mixture and the gram flour mixture gets a runny texture sprinkle 1 tbspoon of water over it. Stir the mixture well and remove the kadai from the flame.
Pour the gram flour mixture in a flat dish and let it attains the room temperature.
Then add boora sugar to the gram flour mixture and blend well with hand.
At last mix chopped nuts and cardamom powder with the gram flour mixture.
Now start making laddus (round shaped balls) of your desire size.
Leave the laddus at room temperature for 5-6 hours so that they can dry completely. Then serve the laddus or place them in an air tight container and preserve for 3-4 weeks.
- If the gram flour and ghee mixture don’t get a runny texture even after roasting for 20-25 minutes then add little more ghee to the mixture to get the desire consistency.
- If ‘boora sugar or tagar’ is not available at your near stores then it can be prepared at home. There are many videos available in youtube showing the recipe of boora sugar. One can also use powdered sugar but boora sugar is best for this recipe.