After a long hiatus, amidst the COVID crisis, with close ones staying at home, it is time to share a very simple recipe of chocolate cake, that too an egg-less one. It is always a joy to get back to baking whenever I feel to satisfy my sweet teeth. This recipe, in that sense is so quicker and easier that one can prepare it without much ado, anytime. Frosting for this recipe is purely optional and and one can easily do away with it. As I often follow the videos of “Joy of baking” for various preparations of cake, I am indebted to chef, Stephanie Jaworski, for this recipe too.
For the Chocolate Cake :
- Plain flour – 195 gm.
- Cocoa powder – 25 gm.
- Granulated white sugar – 200 gm.
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Unsalted butter (melted) – 75 gm.
- Warm water – 240 ml.
- Lemon juice / vinegar – 1 tbspoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 tespoon
- Coffee extract – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Grated chocolate (for garnishing) – 3 – 4 tbspoon (optional)
For Chocolate Cream :
- Dark chocolate (I used 55% cocoa) – 170 gm.
- Butter (diced) – 1 tbspoon (13 gm.)
- Heavy whipping cream – 180 ml. (I used cream with 25% fat content but 30-35% fat content is preferable)
For the Cake :
Line a 20 cm. or 8 inch square baking pan or dish with parchment paper.
Preheat your oven at 180ºC or 350ºF.
Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda in large bowl. Add sugar and salt to the flour mixture. Whisk all the ingredients to mix well.
Now add melted butter, water, vinegar or lemon juice, vanilla extract and coffee extract. Mix well and transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin or dish.
Bake for 30 – 35 minutes for until a toothpick inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove form the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 – 15 minutes before removing the cake from the pan.
For Chocolate Cream :
Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a medium sized stainless steel or heat proof bowl. Heat the cream and butter in a saucepan over medium flame (can also be heated in a microwave). Bring just to boil and immediately pour the cream over the chocolate. Stand for a few minutes and then stir until smooth. Let the chocolate ganache attain the room temperature. Then put it in the refrigerator for minimum 2 hours. After that beat the ganache using an electric mixer until soft peak forms. Spread the chocolate cream on the top and sides of the cake (after cooling the cake completely). To decorate sprinkle over some grated chocolate.
- Baking time can slightly vary depending on the oven.
- Any other frosting like, whipped cream, cream cheese, chocolate ganache or icing sugar will be perfect for the cake. Even one can have it without any frosting.